32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Mr_Rata
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Post by Mr_Rata »

hi "JRD" in the future could you make your hi-capacity wagons to monorail and maglev ? from 2000 in game i miss yours wagons, defaults are too small. Thanks for your job :)
JRD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JRD »

I added a maglev.
It is not upload to bananas. "413 Request Entity Too Large".
Therefore, only on the web.
Ahoj
..... MY OTTD Web
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

JRD wrote:I added a maglev.
It is not upload to bananas. "413 Request Entity Too Large".
Therefore, only on the web.
You need to use musa in order to upload huge packages (http is unsuitable for that)
See http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=63119
Download: http://hg.openttd.org/openttd/extra/mus ... ve/tip.zip
archy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by archy »

I tried jimmyb5's 32bpp_ez-0.1.grf NewGRF on OpenTTD 1.4.1, and while most of it looks great, it fails to draw shore lines and electrified railway tracks and shows annoying blue question-mark icons in their place:

I tried it with OpenGFX and zbase as the base set; same problem with both.

Is there a work-around for that? Or at least a way to disable those icons?

PS: Also, it seems I cannot build Maglev at all when this NewGRF is enabled, only Rail/Electrified rail/Monorail.
Last edited by archy on 12 Jul 2014 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

No clue what the NewGRF (or is it a grf?) actually does. But the solution is simple: don't use a (that) buggy NewGRF. The question marks indicate missing sprites where sprites are needed. It's the fallback - which obviously does not make much sense when used as terrain or signal sprite.
archy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by archy »

planetmaker wrote:No clue what the NewGRF (or is it a grf?) actually does.
I thought GRF and NewGRF are the same thing?

Anyway, it's the one that jimmyb5 introduced on the previous page of this thread. It replaces as many base sprites as possible with graphics from the old "32bpp extra zoom" project.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

archy wrote:
planetmaker wrote:No clue what the NewGRF (or is it a grf?) actually does.
I thought GRF and NewGRF are the same thing?

Anyway, it's the one that jimmyb5 introduced on the previous page of this thread. It replaces as many base sprites as possible with graphics from the old "32bpp extra zoom" project.
Use Zbase and then apply it above!

Update: you did, hum that's odd... Works with me...

Are you using the latest Zbase? http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/zbuild/n ... /v5146-11/
archy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by archy »

Digitalfox wrote:Are you using the latest Zbase? http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/zbuild/n ... /v5146-11/
I was using zBase from the in-game content downloader. I manually installed the version from that link now, but the problem is still the same.
Digitalfox wrote:Works with me...
Note that it only seems to happen with shorelines in temperate climate, and with electrified tracks. Did you test those cases?

If so, what other factors could affect this? In case it matters, I'm running on 64bit Linux, using the OpenTTD package provided by my distro - which was compiled from this source tarball and uses the "libpng 1.6.12" and "SDL 1.2.15" shared libraries (among others).

How can I track down the cause of this bug? For example, is there a way to list which sprites, exactly, could not be rendered? (The game console only prints "ERROR: 32bpp_ez-0.1 contains a corrupt sprite" with no further details.)
Last edited by archy on 12 Jul 2014 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

archy wrote:
Digitalfox wrote:Are you using the latest Zbase? http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/zbuild/n ... /v5146-11/
I was using zBase from the in-game content downloader. I manually installed the version from that link now, but the problem is still the same.
Digitalfox wrote:Works with me...
Note that it only seems to happen with shorelines in temperate climate, and with electrified tracks. Did you test those cases?

If so, what other factors could affect this? In case it matters, I'm running on 64bit Linux, using the OpenTTD packages provided by my distro - which was compiled from this source tarball and uses the "libpng 1.6.12" and "SDL 1.2.15" shared libraries (among others).

How can I track down the cause of this bug? For example, is there a way to list which sprites, exactly, could not be rendered? (The game console only prints "ERROR: 32bpp_ez-0.1 contains a corrupt sprite" with no further details.)
I can't replicate you're problem :\

But try to see what sprite is causing the problem :)

https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_Debugging
archy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by archy »

This is embarrassing: I turns out it was just a corrupted download. Shame on me for not checking the md5sum after first downloading. :oops:
After re-downloading 32bpp_ez-0.1.grf.bz2 the glitches are gone.

Anyway, thanks for responding.
Mr_Rata
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr_Rata »

Actually im using JRD European train set, are anyway to load update content from updated grf in started game ?
JRD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JRD »

Yes this set can be updated directly in the game.
Ahoj
..... MY OTTD Web
Mr_Rata
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr_Rata »

i used your set before you made maglev, but mag lev not even in 2020 year,if i start new game in same year,i can use it
JRD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JRD »

It is not necessary to start a new game. Maglev is available from 2010 and 2030.
If you have the latest version 8.1.
Ahoj
..... MY OTTD Web
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Hey JRD, any change to add a few more 32bpp sprites replacements to Industrial station renewal? :o

For example the water station?
JRD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JRD »

At the moment I do not have enough time ..
I was hoping that someone added their suggestions.
Ahoj
..... MY OTTD Web
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

OK understood :)

On your train set, the graphics look great, but I prefer a more less "Default" train set, like 2cc, so can't really give proper feedback.
Mr_Rata
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr_Rata »

It is not necessary to start a new game. Maglev is available from 2010 and 2030.
If you have the latest version 8.1.
Ok thx,id duplicate grf,and now ok.
In your station set, some maglev station, when build, they have by default electric railway by example,wood cargo station. If you continue update it,would be great ,thx for it !
ArsWolfBeast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ArsWolfBeast »

Hello everyone.

First, excuse me for my English.

I want to find map of all sprites. For example 1370_z... is sprites for railroad crossing as I understand it. I want to draw monorailcrossing but I don't know what name I need to use for replace standart spite. I have tried to google but faild.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

ArsWolfBeast wrote:Hello everyone.

First, excuse me for my English.

I want to find map of all sprites. For example 1370_z... is sprites for railroad crossing as I understand it. I want to draw monorailcrossing but I don't know what name I need to use for replace standart spite. I have tried to google but faild.
Sprites have no names and only the sprites from five of the six base set have fixed numbers. You might get an over view over the numbers of sprites when you look at the source of the base set of your choice. E.g. look at the author listfor a high-level overview and browse the source files for more detailed numbers.

Alternatively enable the NewGRF developer tools in your OpenTTD console. Then go to the sprite alignment tool and checkout the sprite numbers by clicking on a place where the sprite you are interested in is shown ingame. It will tell you the sprite number among the alignment info. The sprite number will be meaningless for all practical NewGRF development purposes for sprites which are not a base set sprite (or a replacement of them).

Generally, don't consider 32bpp sprites anything special at all and ignore basically all 32bpp advise (it's mostly terribly outdated and mis-leading) - except maybe on creating the actual graphics. You need to look for NewGRF development. Thus the 32bpp sub-forum should imho be closed. It's pure existance is mis-leading as if it were something special. When you replace sprites, you must provide an 8bpp version at normal zoom and you can provide any other zoom levels and 32bpp as well.

Return to “Graphics Development”