Cargodest + infrastructure sharing

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Platonix
Engineer
Engineer

Cargodest + infrastructure sharing

Post by Platonix »

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am searching for some version of OTTD with infrastructure sharing and cargo destinations patches with multiplayer capability. Can anyone tell me please how to get/build this version of the game? Where can I find patches or Linux builds? Thank you very much.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cargodest + infrastructure sharing

Post by Yexo »

I don't think there is such a patch atm, but you can try yourself. The link to the cargodest repository is in the relevant thread, although it's quite old by now. Then you'll need to apply an IS patch to that, which can be found in the infrastructure sharing patch. Linux builds are generally not made available, as it's assumed that people using linux can compile them self.
dbkblk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by dbkblk »

In fact, there is a build like this (around v14xxx). I loved to play it with a friend but you know...this is really bugged. You can play a long game with game crash sometimes, this is annoying but after a long time, the game begin to crash everytime and it become unplayed (you load the game > you crash). So, if you really want that build, this is not very fun to play with that crashs (even if the mixture is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL !).
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

I think we should join Cargodest + infrastructure sharing in to one patch becuse they both work togiver
For Community Integrated Version http://code.google.com/p/civopenttd/
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

I think we should leave them separate as that simplifies getting them into trunk.
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

i just tryed to add them in my patch pack and failed so do you think i should just wait and is there any thing i can do my self to push this in to the trunk
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

Well that depends on whether the authors think they are ready to go into trunk. Cargodest is not being developed and wont go into trunk any time soon. And I think IS is in beta. The best way you can usually help these things is to test them (which means applying them to a clean trunk) if they are being worked on, and if they aren't there isn't much you can do except take over their development.
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

I tryed to update them but there realy big files lol
Freak_NL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Freak_NL »

Did anyone ever manage to build cargodest against a trunk release newer than r15507?
Aali
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aali »

There's a patch for r15642 in the cargodest thread that works for revisions up to and including r15694.
Platonix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Platonix »

Where can I download necessary patches and source to build the game with IS and Cargodest? I would be gratefull for any help you can offer.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Although your nearly exact identical question 3 months after your 1st question within the same thread doesn't bode well as it was IMO answered in between, I'm crazy enough: http://ammler.ch:3000/projects/is2 for infrastructure sharing
Platonix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Platonix »

planetmaker wrote:Although your nearly exact identical question 3 months after your 1st question within the same thread doesn't bode well as it was IMO answered in between, I'm crazy enough: http://ammler.ch:3000/projects/is2 for infrastructure sharing
Is this build cargodest capable?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Platonix wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Although your nearly exact identical question 3 months after your 1st question within the same thread doesn't bode well as it was IMO answered in between, I'm crazy enough: http://ammler.ch:3000/projects/is2 for infrastructure sharing
Is this build cargodest capable?
Please READ what planetmaker said.

In particular, programs typically only support what is mentioned, or what their name implies.

It may very well be the case that the combination that you want does not exist. In general, nobody will create it just because you ask for it.

Your best bet is most likely to take up the challenge and do it yourself (start eg by using the 'Search' button at the top-right of this page to find the bits you need), rather than passively asking all over the forum.
Platonix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Platonix »

I do not wish to ask forever in the forum. What I am trying to accomplish is to get some basic details. I will try to build the desired version on my own, however I lack any documentation. For instance where can I find the patches for IS and Cargodest that works with a downloadable version of the game source. I am confused by the misterious numbers e.g. 15473 or even more strange codes like h3b244a8f. I can find the patch for IS that works with some version of cargodest, but I can not find the cargodest version, because it is too old.
Platonix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Platonix »

Your best bet is most likely to take up the challenge and do it yourself (start eg by using the 'Search' button at the top-right of this page to find the bits you need), rather than passively asking all over the forum.
I SEARCHED the forum, but as a newcommer I am a bit confused. I would be useful if someone experienced like YOU tried to help an explain things rather than make critical comments and write completely unuseful posts pointing me to the Search button.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Platonix wrote:I do not wish to ask forever in the forum. What I am trying to accomplish is to get some basic details. I will try to build the desired version on my own, however I lack any documentation. For instance where can I find the patches for IS and Cargodest that works with a downloadable version of the game source. I am confused by the misterious numbers e.g. 15473 or even more strange codes like h3b244a8f. I can find the patch for IS that works with some version of cargodest, but I can not find the cargodest version, because it is too old.
You can download any single revision of the source code aka check out with the revision control system of your choice. If you want to start patching the source code you better make yourself aquaintance with the rcs of your choice, be it svn, hg or git. Read the sticky in the dev forum on how to apply a patch and read the wiki.

And if you actually search the forums, you'll find links to hg repositories of both, cargo destinations and infrastructure sharing. Both more or less recent. If you actually LOOKED at the link I gave you, it's one of the two repositories. You check out that and you'll have already one of the two things: a near-to trunk head version of infrastructure sharing which needs just compilation. It'll be great fun, though, merging it with cargo destinations.

Have you already compiled successfully a completely virgin trunk checkout? Start with that. And now don't complain that I treat you like you know nothing about coding. Either I'm right with my advice or your "problem description" is way off or you're just way too lazy to invest more than 5 minutes searching e.g looking at the links which were already given to you for what YOU want.

If people don't get the answers they expect, there're usually two causes for that
a) the question is ill-posed, people have no clue what it is about, or would need to write books on answering that or have the impression they shall do the bloody work for a lazy person
b) the question is well-posed but quite specific and just have no clue about a solution

Mostly it's a).
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

I agree that this would be most awesome, but also most difficult. They must clash in so many places you'd need someone with a pretty good knowledge of C++ to merge them together. For instance: if you use another players' stations, how does cargodest cope?

Edit: and a lot of time too.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Platonix wrote:
I SEARCHED the forum, but as a newcommer I am a bit confused. I would be useful if someone experienced like YOU tried to help an explain things rather than make critical comments and write completely unuseful posts pointing me to the Search button.
And if we had to explain in detail everything every time a newcommer would ask such question, our day job would be exactly that: reply, copy/paste from other thread, paste, post. Sounds a bit silly, don't you think so? This forum, and more: the wiki, exists to avoid us repeating ourselves over and over. As you might understand, that is the less fun part about development: keep on telling people what to do, where to find what ... while they could have just searched their selves. People are getting more and more lazy, not wanting to invest any time, but want everything in return. So if you at least show us you did an effort, most people here will want to help you out, no problem. Either way, using forum search can be a bit annoying, but google is a good alternative. Also, you might want to use the wiki for what I think is the core of your question. To make your life a tiny bit easier, I will give you the direct link to what I think is important for you, but feel free to use the search of the wiki to identify more specific parts of your question. Here it goes:

http://wiki.openttd.org/FAQ_development

Good luck!

PS: Just for the record, I think you will fail badly in merging those two patches, as it most likely requires some in-depth knowledge about both coding and OpenTTD itself.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Platonix wrote:I SEARCHED the forum, but as a newcommer I am a bit confused. I would be useful if someone experienced like YOU tried to help an explain things rather than make critical comments and write completely unuseful posts pointing me to the Search button.
Most of us are willing to help, but you have to not only explain what you want, but also what you did and what you have got so far. Secondly, ask specific questions rather than some overall goal.
(for example, there is a large difference between "where can I find the cargodest patch" and "I searched the forums, and the latest version I found was <insert link here>. Is there anything newer?")
Platonix wrote:I do not wish to ask forever in the forum. What I am trying to accomplish is to get some basic details. I will try to build the desired version on my own, however I lack any documentation.
Welcome to the real world, where documentation is scattered, incomplete, or just non-existent.
It takes time to learn to find your way.
Platonix wrote:For instance where can I find the patches for IS and Cargodest that works with a downloadable version of the game source.
Each patch has its own thread in a forum, and that is the place to look. Usually the first post is used for publishing patches.

Each patch is developed by a different group of people. Usually, patches are not designed to be combined. That is also the case here.
If you have read the forums, you know that several have tried and failed.
Platonix wrote:I am confused by the misterious numbers e.g. 15473 or even more strange codes like h3b244a8f.
I suggest you read a book(s) about version control systems, in this case about subversion and mercurial.
Platonix wrote:I can find the patch for IS that works with some version of cargodest, but I can not find the cargodest version, because it is too old.
Welcome to the real world, where open source patch development is subject to real world constraints.
In short, you did not find a newer version of cargodest because it does not exist.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”