Train loading bugged

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Train loading bugged

Post by rblb »

I've noticed that sometimes trains get bugged during loading, infinite loading, here's a screenshot on which the train is not loading after 66% has been loaded although there are more than 500 tones of grain, I pressed fast forward and months are passing 66% is all the time, loading is not happening. I can press skip, the train moves to unload, but when it comes back 66% is all it loads to, it gets bugged again.
bugged train loading.jpg
(534.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Train loading bugged

Post by skc »

What are ALL of the cargoes the train is fitted out to carry?

I'm guessing the vehicles at either (or both) ends of the train will be able to carry mail or passengers.
The 'full load' order option will cause the train to wait until every available cargo slot is filled.
The 'full load any cargo' is what you likely need to change that order two, as you're station is not collecting the other cargo(s) required by that train.
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

It's what it shows on the screenshot and you can see all cargo is the same: grain. BTW, says 66%, but cargo is fully loaded.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Please take a screenshot of the vehicle's cargo info. Most likely it tries to load something else. Maybe the train carriages hold mail?

Usually, you should use the "full load any cargo" setting for your Orders which means when the train is topped up with at least one of the things it carries, it will go.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

rblb wrote: 09 Dec 2023 23:05 It's what it shows on the screenshot and you can see all cargo is the same: grain. BTW, says 66%, but cargo is fully loaded.
As Chrill said, please look at the train info - close the order list, and click the button below that on the train's window:
Train Info - 1.png
Train Info - 1.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 13776 times
You'll have to switch to one of the 4th 'tab' to see what cargo(s) the train is wanting to carry:
Train Info - 2.png
Train Info - 2.png (60.09 KiB) Viewed 13776 times
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

Why would I place mail cargo on a grain train!? That is ridiculous. Anyway, I couldn't play the game, scenarios are all broken, even with missing files option downloaded, complains about some old save games or whatever red errors and bunch of missing files and whatnot, I actually was so frustrated that I deleted the game. I'm sorry, I moved on, but will give it a try on some of the next releases in a year or two. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: BTW, I just looked at my screenshot uploaded here and you can clearly see, I mean CLEARLY, that there are no other cargo besides grain and that all are drawn FULL. It's that obvious, so I'm gonna understand what you wrote previously as a joke and that you're pulling my leg.
Last edited by rblb on 10 Dec 2023 12:19, edited 2 times in total.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

rblb wrote: 10 Dec 2023 12:04 EDIT: BTW, I just looked at my screenshot uploaded here and you can clearly see, I mean CLEARLY, that there are no other cargo besides grain and that all are drawn FULL. It's that obvious, so I'm gonna understand what you wrote previously as a joke and that you're pulling my leg.
If I'm looking at it right, it appears to me that you might have selected a DMU engine that also carries passengers. These will not refit to haul cargo, so it makes sense then that the train is only "66% full" because there's still space available to load passengers. Choosing a train engine that only carries cargo (or, no cargo/pax/mail at all) would resolve the perception.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

rblb wrote: 10 Dec 2023 12:04 Why would I place mail cargo on a grain train!? That is ridiculous. Anyway, I couldn't play the game, scenarios are all broken, even with missing files option downloaded, complains about some old save games or whatever red errors and bunch of missing files and whatnot, I actually was so frustrated that I deleted the game. I'm sorry, I moved on, but will give it a try on some of the next releases in a year or two. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: BTW, I just looked at my screenshot uploaded here and you can clearly see, I mean CLEARLY, that there are no other cargo besides grain and that all are drawn FULL. It's that obvious, so I'm gonna understand what you wrote previously as a joke and that you're pulling my leg.
The loco in my screenshots has 'passenger' cargo slots (and the loco(s) in your screenshot would be the one's which have 'mail slots). So if I was to send that train to a coal mine with an order to take a 'full load' and the station at the coal mine did not also cover part of a town, the train would sit there indefinitely, like yours are.
I could hit the 'refit' button 100,000,000 times, to get the train to only have coal as the cargo - it'd still have some 'passenger' cargo slots as the loco can NOT be refitted to carry coal instead of passengers.
The solution, as was originally given to you and which has been repeated by Chrill, is that you NEED to change the order from "Full load" (which will wait until the train is 100% loaded with ALL!!!! cargo slots full) to "Full load (any cargo)" (which will cause the train to wait only until it has 100% of any ONE cargo type full).

Yes, in your screenshots we can all clearly see that the grain hoppers are indeed full, but the LOCO(s) have cargo slots that are not yet filled, which is why the train isn't 100% full and therefore is why it is not leaving the station, so none of myself, Chrill or kamnet are pulling your leg.
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

I'm sorry, but it doesn't make any sense. Engine is engine that pushes carts, there's no empty space in it for anything. I purchased empty engine and added carts for grain to the engine. If you look at the engine, it's just engine that cannot contain anything, it can't get filled with anything. Anyway, I'm long gone, playing something else. In my opinion the game is in early stage, bugged. It does say 13.4, but it's probably a typo missing zero, like 0.13.4 or something like that.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

You're getting really worked up about this, please calm down.

As stated above, many engines (both in real life and in-game) carries some sort of cargo capacity. It is often used for mail, but can be used for other purposes too. It is fully possible you are using such an engine.

Also, this game is 30 years old. Calling it early stage is fun, I do appreciate it, but your lack of comprehension does not equal a lack of features. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

Chrill wrote: 11 Dec 2023 15:37 You're getting really worked up about this, please calm down.

As stated above, many engines (both in real life and in-game) carries some sort of cargo capacity. It is often used for mail, but can be used for other purposes too. It is fully possible you are using such an engine.

Also, this game is 30 years old. Calling it early stage is fun, I do appreciate it, but your lack of comprehension does not equal a lack of features. :mrgreen:
I'm perfectly calm LOL. But after reading this I'm not sure what kind of operation you're running here or what's your agenda. You say I purchased engine that can load mail or passengers, that is not true. Then you say the game is 30 years old, while on your website it is written "Latest stable release in openttd is 13.4, released on 2023-07-29 23:01 UTC", which is the version I downloaded since it said STABLE. The STABLE is also deceptive as the game is rigged with numerous bugs for some of which I already provided screenshots. From my point of view you appear to be detached from reality and facts. You say one thing, which I'm sure is true inside your own head, but is in fact not reflecting the reality, and I'm merely pointing all of those out for you, to make it simple for you and help you out, because I thought those were actual bugs, at that time I didn't know those were deliberate. And to further your delusion, you're thinking I'm upset because you deliberately made the game unplayable. It's just a game, I already deleted it as stated before and moved on. You're the one thinking that by making game unplayable you're affecting someone or something. You're not. Albeit I wasted 2h + 5 minutes chatting here with you, but that's it. I wish you all the best with whatever you're doing and good luck!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

rblb wrote: 11 Dec 2023 16:09 And to further your delusion, you're thinking I'm upset because you deliberately made the game unplayable.
Whilst there are plenty of changes in the game that do make the game... honestly an absolute pain in the rear for old players, your issue here is 100% not an issue, in terms of glitch.

You can very readily tell a train to load one cargo, or all cargo (full load vs full load any cargo), considering the engine you have (which appears to be a diesel multiple unit to start with, commonly a passenger carrying thing) literally has windows on it, you can safely assume it can carry something else, the driver doesn't need that many windows on the side for instance. By your logic a train like this wouldn't be able to carry anything in OTTD because there is nothing but the two engines, and yes there is an engine in both of them carriages.

The game does not try to be 100% realistic, because A) effort & B) realism rarely makes a fun game, but there are 100% locomotives in the world that can carry other stuff, even ignoring the fact you're (likely) using a multiple unit of some sort. Even if its just space to throw a couple of crates of postage parcels on there that happen to be going the same way.

Also, saying the game should be perfect because it is 'stable' is ridiculous, have you seen some games that have been shipped as full stable releases? Because the Definitive Edition of the GTA trilogy & Fallout 76 has something to say about that, as does various games released to consoles before you could apply patches over the internet, and they had to print an entirely new version of the disc and try getting that in circulation.

If anything the things that make the game more of a pain for older players are designed to help new players like you by removing your choices and forcing you down an 'easier' path, at least not without farting about with settings for a while to get them back. So you're more than welcome to suggest a change to make the game easier to understand for yourself by opening an issue on the GitHub. But the quick fix here, and what I always do on my games, is use the full load any cargo, and that is more than likely going to be the cargo you intended.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

rblb wrote: 11 Dec 2023 16:09
You say I purchased engine that can load mail or passengers, that is not true.
That is partial truth, as you bought a two part diesel multiple unit and inserted grain cars in the middle. :)
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

rblb wrote: 11 Dec 2023 16:09 Albeit I wasted 2h + 5 minutes chatting here with you, but that's it. I wish you all the best with whatever you're doing and good luck!
The issue isn't that the game is bugged, the issue is that you installed a game and then took absolutely no time to actually read any of the carefully thought-out and well-maintained documentation, immediately started downloading anything and everything without understanding what you were doing or why you were doing it, got in over your head and threw it all away before even asking for help and receiving it.

This isn't issue with a buggy game, is clearly a PEBCAK error.
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

I provided you screenshot and description of errors. Are you saying the screenshot with red letters explaining the crash is PEBCAK error? I disagree, it is the proof of lousy coding and blaming users for your inability to make a working bug-free game and labeling a buggy one as stable is solely the problem of development team. Correcting the version number and labeling it as Beta version, which is what it is really, would be rational thing to do, immediately. But what you did was simply lame. I never encountered something like it; I never encountered any developers who would blame me, the gamer, for their lousy programming skills. This is the first LOL! :bow:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

It's very clear you are not actually looking for solutions (which have been provided), so I'd recommend letting this topic rest and we can all agree to disagree. :) If you intend to mock the people who have spent decades working on this game, that will not fly. OpenTTD is based on an old game, it's not for everyone and that's OK.
My Scenarios:
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Redirect Left wrote: 11 Dec 2023 16:45 So you're more than welcome to suggest a change to make the game easier to understand ... But the quick fix here, and what I always do on my games, is use the full load any cargo, and that is more than likely going to be the cargo you intended.
Is it possible to implement a warning for this situation? For example, warn the player if the vehicle has been waiting for a certain cargo, and none of it has appeared at the station over a long time.
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

^ OMG, if they haven't implemented something that trivial and simple and kinda intuitive for 20 years, then *sigh* what to say here, and they're the developers and I was blamed for not being able to play the game, can you believe this? I honestly never encountered anything like it, the freaking entire board of developers blaming us the gamers for them not making a player-friendly game while developing it for 20 FREAKING YEARS!!! It's either this is some bad joke or they're trolling the gamers. In either case it's hilarious when you think about it, it really is, so I laugh and salute you developers, you made my day LOL :bow:

EDIT: and btw I was getting annoying blue warning about train not being able to find route while it was waiting for the other train to pass, there's no need for that warning, because after the train passes, the rail is free and this other train passes without any problems. It was just waiting near red semaphore for other train to pass and the other train was loading. That should be fixed as well, because it is a bug, it's bugging the player.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Again, it's not a bug, it's a "you" problem. And, no, the developers are not blaming you. The developers aren't even involved in this discussion. But you're ascribing blame for things which you don't even understand, which is a problem with yourself.

Now, can things be better? Sure, they can always be better. That requires the user to first be able to sit down, describe the problem, and show that it's repeatable. To that end, having a copy of a save which demonstrates the issue is the most helpful thing to have. After that comes a suggestion on how to make it better, or if the user doesn't have a suggestion, then opening up the conversation for others to start formulating ideas based on their knowledge of the game. Some of us here have more experience with the code behind the game, some of us just have years of gameplay experience. But often we can find a good solution through fruitful discussion.
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

Of course, but those bugs that I was experiencing, and they really are errors (written in red) and bugs, crashes or irrational behaviors, will be experienced by anyone playing the game for less than an hour. Have you even played the game before? I'm asking because it's hard to believe that you did since apparently you haven't experienced any of what I experienced.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”